Skip to main content

Mom on a Mission: Meet Kidada Rowe, Online Student and Aspiring Educator

Kidada and her son pose smiling with a "Medieval Times" sign at a recent family birthday celebration.
Kidada Rowe and her son at a family birthday celebration. 

Kidada Rowe, 45
Georgia Gwinnett College
Major: Special Education
Expected Graduation: 2022

At 45 years old, Kidada's career hit an unexpected bump in the road. Instead of letting that derail her life, she decided to return to college and pursue her newfound passion: Special Education. Read more about Kidada, and how her son inspired her to become a "builder of family bridges" in the education system. 

Tell us a little about yourself. Other than being a college student, how do you spend your time?
I am a full-time mom, raising my son to be a terrific human being. I aspire to be a teaching assistant in order to pave the way for a career as an educator. I spend a large portion of my time developing my son, who has specific needs— watching movies with him, playing games with him, practicing social situations with him, enjoying life with him, and talking to him about the importance of a good education. We enjoy playing tennis and basketball, as well.

I really enjoy first-hand documentaries with real-life people talking about their lives and events that have impacted them. I love the human brain and finding out what makes people think, act, and do the things they do.

What circumstances led you to enroll in college at this time in your life?
I recently separated from my long-time employer, a place where I thought I would retire. After that, I decided to enroll in college for better career opportunities.

Why did you choose Georgia Gwinnett College?
I chose GGC because they offered my degree program and they were the least expensive in town.

Why is completing your degree important to you?
I have always felt empty and somewhat unsuccessful without a college degree. What made it critical for me was my developing the need to understand the varying level of abilities that people have and how that affects all areas of their lives. I am ready to become an educator and a builder of education, compassion, and family bridges.

How many eCore (or other online) courses have you taken so far?
I have taken seven eCore courses and a few hybrid courses.

Why did you choose to take online classes vs. going to campus?
I was working many hours so I didn't have time to travel to school, and I was curious about the eCore experience.

What has been your experience with eCore classes?
My experiences have all been pretty good. My professors have always been really understanding and easy to communicate with. During my first eCore semester, the best advice a professor gave me (and I give to others) was to stay on course. Please do not think that because it is online you will have time to catch up. You don't and you won't. The work will pile up. I feel the courses go by smoothly as long as you adhere to a schedule for yourself, due dates, and deadlines. I enjoy not traveling in traffic, looking for parking, and the freedom to "attend" your course at any time that works best for you.

How and when do you make time for your schoolwork?
It was very tough at first, but what works best for me is to make a schedule just like you would if you were attending a class. Now, I have a weekly schedule and I put my daily routine in every slot including breaks, lunch, shower, bonding time with my son, exercise, etc. This helps me avoid wasting valuable time. When you know what your week looks like, you know what to do.

What would you say to someone who is considering taking their first online class?
I would say go for it with discipline and you will have much success. The eCore professors seem to really understand the dynamics of their students and that they vary. They really work with you because they know life happens and so do unexpected situations. They want all of their students to succeed.

Visit the eCore website to learn more about online core classes available through Georgia Gwinnett College and 20 other colleges and universities across Georgia. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Best Bang for Your Buck: A Comparison of Online Undergraduate Tuition Rates

There are many online programs and institutions in Georgia and across the country, and it is important to adequately compare the benefits of these programs when choosing the right one for your educational pursuits. One of the most important factors for the majority of students is cost. When evaluating a school for overall cost, there are several things to take into consideration. Tuition: Tuition is the base cost for college courses and is usually calculated per credit hour. eMajor prides itself on offering an affordable and competitive low tuition rate of just $199 per credit hour regardless of where you live. Yes, that's for both in-state and out of state students! Textbooks and Course Materials: As part of our commitment to affordability, several eMajor courses have now transitioned to Open Educational Resources (OERs) in place of costly textbook requirements, with more courses continually in the process of following suit. eCore courses are now 100% OER! When compa