Skip to main content

Meet Lieutenant Lampp: College Student, Working Mom, and Future Police Captain

Stephanie Lampp, 36
Georgia Southwestern State University
Major: Criminal Justice

With 15 years of police experience under her belt, Stephanie had started to see opportunities for advancement come and go because of just one thing: her lack of a 4-year degree. Now, she’s starting the new year by tackling one of her biggest goals (and fears) and going back to school online through Georgia Southwestern State University. Read more about Stephanie, and the journey she’s taken to get to this place in her life. 

Tell us a little about yourself. Other than being a brand new college student, what do you spend your time doing?  I am a Lieutenant in the Police Department at Middle Georgia State University. I oversee day to day operations on our Dublin and Eastman Campuses. I am the Training Coordinator, Assessment Coordinator, & Clery Coordinator. I am married (10 years) to a Drug Agent and we have an 8-year-old daughter. Our schedules are often hectic and never the same. Our family loves camping. We go as often as we can and feel it is important to spend this time together making memories.  I love to read books during my downtime and my husband often jokes that he lost me to a Kindle = ). My husband also has a cook team (Pigs cooking Pork), and we spend a lot of time mixing cooking with our camping. 

In 2009 I almost died due to HELPP syndrome. My daughter was born 3 months early as a result and was 2lbs 9oz. In the following year, I lost my ability to walk. The steroids that were given to me to develop my daughter’s lungs caused my hip joints to deteriorate. From 2009-2015 I’ve had both my hips replaced and a portion of my lower back fixed. I say that to say this: It’s a miracle that I am still able to serve in any capacity in Law Enforcement. It’s the only job I know and it is important to get an education so that when I’m too old to work a beat— I’ll be able to work on the administration side to finish out my career. I try to remind myself every day that life is precious. 

What circumstances led you to return to school at this time in your life?  I have been in law enforcement for 15 years. In 2003, I chose this career because it was a skilled trade and didn’t require a college degree. Here I am 15 years later and policing in higher education has transitioned and now does require a degree for ranking positions. As a Lieutenant, I am as high as I can go at my institution without having a 4-year degree. Although I do have an Associate’s degree, doors are starting to close in my face because I don’t have that last 2 years of education.

Why did you choose this particular program? Returning to school had been on my mind for quite some time. One day, an email came through from the University System office about the eMajor program in Criminal Justice. It was completely online, could be paid for by my employer’s tuition assistance program, and there was even a chance to earn college credit for some of my training and experience. I jumped right on it! The admissions team at Georgia Southwestern helped push my application through so that I could meet the tuition assistance deadlines to start in January.

Why is completing your college degree important to you? I want to retire with the University System, and I want to be able to pursue opportunities for advancement within the system during that time. Most importantly going back to school is intimidating to me. I am overwhelmed with feelings of defeat and dread that I can’t succeed, and I feel like I need to prove myself wrong about that.

What is your experience with online classes, and why did you choose to complete the program online? Our law enforcement required training has moved to online training, so I am more comfortable with it now than I was when I first attended school 10+ years ago. My job and home life do not allow the time needed to go sit in a classroom. I am a wife and a mom; online classes are my only option to obtaining a 4-year degree. 

How and when do you plan to make time to spend on your school work? My plan is to spend the first two hours that I’m off every day and dedicate it to school work. I will let you know how it works!

What goals would you like to accomplish after earning your degree? The goal at the moment is just to prove to myself that I can do it. Beyond that, I want the next Captain’s position.

What would you say to someone who is considering taking their first online class or returning to school after being out for many years? It’s a scary thing to commit to but it’s not unachievable. If it were, people wouldn’t be succeeding at it every day. I constantly tell myself that, “they are going to provide you with what you need to know to be successful.”

Stephanie is pursuing her Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice degree through Georgia Southwestern State University completely online through USG eMajor. For more information on this program, or Credit for Prior Learning opportunities with eMajor, please visit emajor.usg.edu.  

Comments

Ben said…
Such an inspiring story and a great opportunity! We are very proud of you, Stephanie.

Ben
Unknown said…
Congratulations STEPH!
Unknown said…
Awesome piece on an awesome person! As much as you have been through & keep going, you can make it through this too! So proud of you! Love your sis-n-law

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Sitting in the Front Row of an Online Class

We all remember that first day of class and trying to decide where to sit. Even when we felt like hiding in the back row (and texting on our cell phones), we knew we were probably better off in the front. It seemed that the ones just a few feet from the lectern were almost part of the instructor’s secret club. And when we joined that club on the first row, it seemed as though our grades were higher, the teachers liked us more, and we were more confident. Being at the front of the class felt like being at the top of the class. In an online class, the front row has a lot more room than it does in a traditional classroom. There’s space for a lot more of us to be an active part of the learning experience. And finding that perfect spot is fairly simple - even in a virtual space. Provide a memorable introduction. Most courses provide for an opportunity to introduce yourself during the first days of class. Make a positive impression by not only telling about your academic goals but revealing