Skip to main content

Meet Tara: Working Mom and Online Student with a Love of Traveling and Learning

Tara Brown, 41
Dalton State College
BS in Organizational Leadership: Healthcare Administration Concentration
Expected Graduation: May 2017

What classes are you currently taking with eCore/eMajor?
Currently I am enrolled in US History, Intro to Criminal Justice, Technology for Organizations, Reflective Seminar 3, and Capstone.

Are you currently employed? If so, where and what do you do? 
Yes I am currently employed full-time for Adventist Health systems.  I am a Practice Manager for a busy Orthopedic practice.  I also try to take a pretty full class load when I can.

Why is completing your college degree important to you?
Since I was a little girl I loved school and I loved learning. I always had big plans of going to college and becoming something great. I became a Mom at a very young age so my desire to have a college education was put on hold. I attempted classes on and off for almost 20 years and finally got to a good place in my life that I could take the time to finish. 

Why did you choose to take online classes?
I really like the on-campus, face-to-face classes but working full time and being a wife and mom did not leave much time for that. I was so skeptical at first because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the course work. I am also a very social person so sitting behind a computer didn't seem like my thing. However, after the first semester of eCore I knew that choosing to take online classes was the best decision I had ever made. It was flexible for my schedule, and yet I don't feel like I have missed out on learning anything that I would have learned in the classroom environment. I am still able to interact with my fellow classmates and learn so many "real life" scenarios.

What have you enjoyed the most about your online classes?
I have really enjoyed the eMajor classes. They are not just general courses that may or may not apply to what you currently do or would like to do in the future. The classes for my program are tailored to the healthcare field and are relevant to what happens daily. I have learned so much regarding things that I deal with every day and it has given me major insight on how to handle certain things differently than I have in the past. 

How would you describe the instructors you’ve had in your eCore and eMajor classes?
My instructors have been great to work with. They seem to understand that we have so many things that we are juggling and they are always so eager to help us be successful. The knowledge and experience that they bring to the table is very beneficial.

When you're not doing schoolwork, what are you doing? 
I love spending time with my husband and our kids. We have a 13 year old still at home, and a 20 and 23 year old that both have babies of their own. So we love spending time with our grandbabies ages, 6 months, 1 year, and 3 years. I also love seeing new places and meeting new people so traveling any chance we get is my favorite thing to do. Otherwise, I am looking forward to graduation in May so I can read a book for pleasure or go home at night and watch TV again. Those are things I don't get to do much of these days.

What is something interesting about you that your classmates might be surprised to hear?
I think when most people meet me the one thing they are surprised about is that I am a grandmother. I definitely don't fit the description and don't "feel" like I am old enough to be one, either. 

How and when do you make time to spend on your schoolwork?
I make a point to log in and review assignments daily. This usually happens in the evenings after dinner, and weekends are when I am able to work on bigger assignments. It is not always necessary to log in every day but this helps keep me focused on what I need to do.  When you are taking multiple classes at one time it can be very overwhelming to keep up with when things are due. I have a planner that I write everything in....school, work, and personal. This is great way for me to visualize my day or week and keep track of overlapping assignments, or when other things may interfere. 

Who or what inspires you and why?
I am inspired to always strive to be a better person. To learn something new, try something new, or just improve what I currently have. I worked very hard as a single mom years ago to gain skills that provided me with jobs that made me feel like I made a difference and made me a better person. The only thing that has ever been lacking was my college degree. That has been my inspiration to keep going and to never give up. I hope that I will leave that legacy for my kids to see - that it doesn't matter how long it takes or how old you are, that you can accomplish your goals, and to always try to be a little better than you were today.

What would you say to someone who is considering taking their first online class through eCore or eMajor?
Just do it! Be organized and stay on top of your work and you will be successful.

What do you plan to do with your degree after graduation?
After graduation I hope to be able to advance within my organization and utilize my skills that I have learned in the program as well as my years of experience. I love healthcare and plan to continue doing this for as long as I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Let’s Get Ready for Finals - 8 Secrets For Success

For many students, just the thought of final exams and projects brings anxiety and distress. This stress can be self-defeating, as studies show that over-worry related to exams can make it more difficult to retain information (Young, 2022).  But with proper preparation and a positive mindset, students can set themselves up for a grade-boosting finale. Obviously, re-reading the material (or practicing problems) is a necessary ingredient for high achievement on exams. Assuming that just about everyone reviews the materials to some extent, let’s consider what practices can set you apart. Get calm. First and foremost, your best bet is to worry a lot less. For most USG eCore and eMajor courses, the final exam or project only represents a relatively-small portion of the grade. It helps to calculate the exam score you will need to achieve the grade that you are seeking.  For example, if the final exam is worth 15 percent and you have an 87 in the course, you would need a 107 on the final to