Skip to main content

Meet Angela: Mother, Photographer, Genealogy Enthusiast, and Future High School Teacher

Angela Martin, 37
University of North Georgia
BA in History with Teacher Certification
Expected Graduation: 2019

What is your occupation?
I am self employed as a freelance artistic photographer, a full-time student, a full-time mom to a 3 year-old and a 17 year-old, and a full-time take-care-of-everything-elser.

What class are you currently taking with eCore/eMajor? 
This semester I am taking HIST 1112 (World Civilizations) and GEOL 1011K (Introductory Geosciences). In the past I have taken World Literature and HIST 1111. 

Why is completing your degree important to you? 
Completing my degree has been a work in progress since the early 2000's. I graduated high school early, attended Technical College, and earned a degree and licensure as a Master Cosmetologist (which I still hold). That degree was meant to be a means to an end. I always held the desire to return to college for a degree. But, life happens; I became pregnant with my oldest child, married and divorced, and struggled as a single parent for years before enrolling at (then) Gainesville College. While I was able to earn some credits at Gainesville College by taking night classes, my progress was not sustainable as a single parent. I withdrew. When the college changed to Gainesville State, I enrolled again, and again found that the scheduling of classes for a single mother working retail hours just did not work. So again, I withdrew. When Gainesville State became part of the University System of Georgia and subsequently merged into the University of North Georgia, a new world of opportunities arose. So, I enrolled for a third time. And because of online learning platforms like eCore along with night classes, I have been able to sustain a steady pace and will graduate with my Associates this Fall before transferring into the B.A program!

Why did you choose to take online classes? 
I chose online classes for the scheduling convenience. The classes are by no means 'easier,' but I can work them into my daily schedule a lot easier.

How would you describe the instructors you've had in your eCore/eMajor classes?
Thus far, my instructors have been phenomenal! I could not ask for more knowledgeable, helpful, and genuinely interested instructors. I wish I could meet all of them in person!

What has been the best thing about taking online classes? 
There are several 'best' things. One thing that I love is that the classes are open-resource, which means no out of pocket expense for books! Another best thing is the platform; it is easy to use, simple, streamlined, and very convenient. And besides the convenience of scheduling factor, the instructors through eCore have been wonderful.

When you're not doing school work, what are you doing? 
When I am not doing school work I am usually busy taking care of my 3 year-old, spending time with my husband and with my 17 year-old. Genealogy is a huge hobby/passion of mine, so I spend a lot of time researching and taking (sometimes dragging) my family out and about with me to random historical spots and cemeteries. They love it. Well the 3 year-old not so much, but everyone else does. My occupation (photography) is more artistic in nature, so I do not typically take the usual 'family portraits'; my photos usually have a theme, such as fantasy, cowboy/girl, 30's singer at a bar, etc. Being creative with photography is a great stress reliever for me.

How and when do you make time to focus on your school work? 
I set myself on some sort of a schedule. It isn't a normal school schedule, but it works for me. For instance, I will get up early and log-in, check on the work that is coming up in my classes, make sure I have them written down in my planner (including reading assignments). Then I use my iPad for reading assignments while I am taking care of other things throughout the day. I use the Quizlet app on my iPhone as a resource for remembering vocabulary and terms. In the afternoon and evenings I get back online to complete any discussions, postings, tests, etc. For essays, I start working weeks ahead if possible, just to make sure I have good resources and a couple of rough drafts. School literally becomes a part of my life schedule, like breathing. I am touching it in some form all day, and while that may seem overwhelming, it truly isn't, because this schedule allows me to take regular breaks through out the day, which actually seems to help me retain the information better.

What would you say to someone who is considering taking their first online class through eCore or eMajor? 
Make sure you are ready to read a lot of material. Start mentally preparing ahead of time; figure out how you will merge your classes into your daily schedule, including weekends. Check in daily and participate in discussions; I have had some fun and lively discussions through eCore! Once you get the hang of your own personal schedule, you will love eCore. Just remember, you will get out of online classes what you put into them, and if you put in the effort, you will have an excellent experience, learn a lot of great information, and earn a great grade!


What do you plan to do with your degree after graduation?  
I plan to teach History at the High School level, within the public school system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Let’s Get Ready for Finals - 8 Secrets For Success

For many students, just the thought of final exams and projects brings anxiety and distress. This stress can be self-defeating, as studies show that over-worry related to exams can make it more difficult to retain information (Young, 2022).  But with proper preparation and a positive mindset, students can set themselves up for a grade-boosting finale. Obviously, re-reading the material (or practicing problems) is a necessary ingredient for high achievement on exams. Assuming that just about everyone reviews the materials to some extent, let’s consider what practices can set you apart. Get calm. First and foremost, your best bet is to worry a lot less. For most USG eCore and eMajor courses, the final exam or project only represents a relatively-small portion of the grade. It helps to calculate the exam score you will need to achieve the grade that you are seeking.  For example, if the final exam is worth 15 percent and you have an 87 in the course, you would need a 107 on the final to