Skip to main content

Real Student Stories: Sheroni Cunningham

Sheroni spending time with her husband and
their 2-year old daughter at the museum.











Sheroni Cunningham
Age: 25
Middle Georgia State University

Why is completing your college degree important to you?
It will help me excel past current barriers that limit me to jobs that require a degree. [Completing my degree] will also help me be a better example to my daughter to finish what you begin, try your hardest, be honest with yourself and do what is best for you.

Why did you choose to take online classes through eCore?
I am currently a full-time employee at Goodwill of North Georgia, living in Snellville, Georgia. My eCore class allows me flexibility to complete studying at work like a work-study program, allowing webcam interaction with my professor from another wonderful university, who has been extremely helpful thus far. [There is no need to] commute to MGA, which is a two-hour drive from my home and a 3 hour drive from work. I'm able to gain the information I need using all of my time the best I can to gain a degree working from home, work, or wherever I am with my laptop.

How would you describe the instructors you’ve had in your eCore classes?
Excellent. He made himself very accessible through both email and the discussion board, which gives a personal flare. The videos and website have all been helpful in teaching me exactly what I need to know. I have thoroughly enjoyed this course thus far. I actually feel like a chemist, fully grasping all the concepts being taught and gaining full understanding as to how these lessons apply to everyday life.

Besides being a college student, what do you spend your time doing?
Working full-time, being a full-time mother to a very active 2-year-old daughter, and being a full-time wife to my husband of 2 years. I attend church throughout the week and watch services we miss due to work.

How and when do you make time to spend on your schoolwork?
I have my book now so when I am not able to get to a computer, I will study the lessons that are approaching. I will write out the agendas that are to be taught throughout the most current units, gather the most information I can from my book, and then compare the book information to the information provided by my professor. Any information that I need to add to my notes, such as examples and formulas for certain types of solutions, I make time to create those additional notes. I spend most of my free time throughout the week studying: during the morning, my lunch at work, and evening. I spend my off days conquering as much information I possibly can.

What has been the best thing about your eCore experience?
Flexibility. I can pick up where I left off at any given time.


What would you say to someone who is considering taking his or her first online class through eCore?
I would tell them that while it is flexible, it is important that you are committed to your own personal success. Making sure that you understand the information, concepts, formulas, and overall information being presented so that when major tests come around such as midterms and finals, you won't have to stress because you will be sure you know exactly what you need to know. Give yourself time to make sure you have fully studied before all homework and quizzes. Study everything at least three times; you won't go wrong. Communicate with your classmates and professors. While you may be in an online course, by no means are you alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Sitting in the Front Row of an Online Class

We all remember that first day of class and trying to decide where to sit. Even when we felt like hiding in the back row (and texting on our cell phones), we knew we were probably better off in the front. It seemed that the ones just a few feet from the lectern were almost part of the instructor’s secret club. And when we joined that club on the first row, it seemed as though our grades were higher, the teachers liked us more, and we were more confident. Being at the front of the class felt like being at the top of the class. In an online class, the front row has a lot more room than it does in a traditional classroom. There’s space for a lot more of us to be an active part of the learning experience. And finding that perfect spot is fairly simple - even in a virtual space. Provide a memorable introduction. Most courses provide for an opportunity to introduce yourself during the first days of class. Make a positive impression by not only telling about your academic goals but revealing