Skip to main content

60 Seconds With Grant Roberson - Dalton State eMajor Student

1. What is your occupation? I work at a local power company, EPB, in Chattanooga, TN in the Field Services division.  I mainly focus on the fiber optic services like TV, Internet and phone service.  I troubleshoot problems that our fiber optics customers are having within their fiber network like TV signal issues, internet and phone issues. 

2. What is your college major?
My college major is Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership.  I was originally going for a Bachelor of Business Administration at Dalton State College before the eMajor program was offered. 

3. Why eMajor?
I needed the eMajor program because I work full-time, and it is impossible to take more than 6 hours per semester face-to-face.  It was taking me forever to finish and it was going to take me at least another 2 years to finish.  I am so thankful that DSC is a part of the eMajor program because now I will graduate summer after only being in this program for less than a year!

4. Who is the biggest inspiration for your education?
The biggest inspiration for my education is me. I know how that sounds but hear me out.  I have had crappy jobs most of my life.  When I graduated high school I went to the carpet factory. (We are in Dalton you know!) After 1 year of hard labor I decided I could do something better for myself.  I went back to Dalton State College to get my Associate's degree so I could get a better job.  I got my Associates degree in 2 years and shortly after I obtained a decent paying job.  Finally, I had something I could be proud of and since then I have excelled with my degree.  I wanted to go back to get my Bachelors degree so I could advance in my career and go even further and make even more money.  I pride myself in having a very good work ethic and I work extremely hard.  I know I can achieve anything because I have been there and done that and have seen the fruits of my labor.
5. What is something cool you've learned this semester in your eMajor class?

Something cool that I have learned is that I find it more interesting and I feel like I learn more because I have the material at my hands at all times.  Some of the discussions we have really feel like you are in the class and are getting to know the other students.  I have learned a lot about myself as a learner.

6. What three words would you use to describe one of your online instructors?

These are more like 3 statements vs. 3 words:
 
1. Very smart
2. Easy to communicate with
3. Involved

7. Where is your favorite place to visit in the USA?
My favorite place to visit is anywhere that has a beach and for adventure I have started hiking the Appalachian Trail. I love to hike and my friends and I will take week long hikingtrips and love being outside.  We started the AT this year and have completed to first 21 miles and will do another 20 mile section later this year. 

8. What kind of mood are you in right now, and why?
I’m in a great mood because I know my life is heading in a very positive direction and I can't wait to finish my degree to get my reward for all of those years of hard work.

9. Your favorite study spot?
My favorite study spot is my couch.  Believe it or not, I like to have the TV on and have it on mute while I study.

10. What is something your online classmates don't know about you?
I guess they do not know how funny I can be.  I have a lot of stupid-funny jokes that I tell so I think I'm pretty entertaining. 

11. What are your career plans beyond eMajor?

My career plans after eMajor is to further my career here at EPB.  This company is so amazing, and we have a culture here that only Google would know about.  EPB cares so much about its employees and always tries to make everyone comfortable.  There is always continuous opportunity and they make you feel important and always make you feel proud to be a part of this great company.  My goal would be to get into leadership either in power or fiber optics.  All I know is that I will get an opportunity to shine, and when I get it I will run with it!


12. Is there anything interesting you would like to share about yourself?
I'm just a regular guy trying to make it. I feel like nothing but good is ahead of me with my eventual graduation with a bachelor’s degree, potential advancement and a loving family.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta

Professor Broussard: This Georgia College Professor Teaches History from a Very Unique Point of View

Not only is Dr. Ray Broussard a UGA/USG eCore History professor still teaching in his 90s, but he’s also a World War II and Korean War veteran. eCampus visits Dr. Broussard’s home in Athens, Georgia for an update on his love of life and teaching. We last interviewed Dr. Broussard in 2012 , when we learned about his time in the Navy, his early teaching days, and his genuine surprise when he realized you really could teach History online. Today, he is not only the oldest, but also one of USG eCore’s most engaging instructors and consistently receives gushing comments from students in his course evaluations-- many who are amazed to learn world and United States history from someone who helped make the history. At 91 years old, Dr. Broussard and his wife (a retired high school history teacher), haven’t been up for traveling as much, so he invited us to visit with him at his home. We arrived at his peaceful, quaint little house on the Eastside of Athens where he eagerly welc