Skip to main content

60 Seconds with eMajor Student David Bachman - Airport Ramp Control Coordinator


David Bachman is one fascinating guy who grabs life by the horns and lives it to the fullest. He has lived in many different areas of Georgia, but has now settled in Midtown Atlanta. Believe it or not, David found out about eMajor from our USG eMajor Facebook page. 

1. What is your occupation?
I am a Ramp Control Coordinator at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. I coordinate the ground movement of 320-350 flights per shift on the world’s two busiest ramps. Yes, you could say that things get a little stressful at times. I work in a ramp control tower, which is located on top of the concourse in which passengers load their planes. During peak traffic times it is highly common to communicate with 20 or more aircraft. Ramp Control is a highly specialized profession that requires your full attention to ensure the safety of all passengers and the efficient movement of aircraft on the ramp areas. I am very fortunate to say that I look forward to my job every day.


2. What is your college major?
I have previously studied Mass Communications and Marketing at the University of West Georgia prior to transferring to the Federal Aviation Administration’s Air Traffic Control school at Middle Georgia College, where I graduated with an Associate’s Degree in Air Traffic Management.

I am working towards my Bachelors in Organizational Leadership with a concentration in Public Administration from Valdosta State University via eMajor.


3. Why eMajor? 


I stay very busy with my full-time job in Atlanta which inhibits me from attending college in a traditional classroom setting. I chose to explore my options with eMajor and I have been very pleased with the ease and the results. I am able to learn at my own pace while working at my full-time job, which I love! The technology is state-of-the-art and the online systems make it easy to navigate, communicate with others, and upload files. I specifically enjoy sharing ideas and receiving feedback from my professors and peers. My degree from Valdosta State University will make me a much more marketable person in the future. 

4. Who is the biggest inspiration for your education?
My mother is my inspiration. She has always been a promoter and supporter of higher education. She frequently tells me how important it is to earn my Bachelor's degree. My mother attended college at the University of West Georgia, in Carrollton, but never finished. She has told me this was one of her greatest regrets. I now know what she is talking about. If you do a job search today it is nearly impossible to find a decent, respectable job if you do not have a Bachelors degree. Try it for yourself – it’s impossible! I’ve discovered that it’s absolutely required in today’s workplace to have that Bachelor’s degree behind your name. My mother has opened my eyes pushed me to finish, and I am very thankful for that. Thanks, Mom!


5. Where is your favorite place to visit in the USA?

My favorite place to visit is Austin, Texas. The Oasis at Lake Travis specifically, as the sunset view is stunning! Definitely a place to search on Google pictures.

8. What kind of mood are you in right now, and why?

I am in a very confident and a little taller and a little more proud in the investment that I have made in my education.





9. What's your favorite study spot?
Starbucks! Enjoying a delicious coffee combines very well with my studies. Surprisingly I am much more successful at studying when I am at Starbucks than when I’m at my own home.

10. What is something your online classmates don't know about you?
What I look like.

11. What are your career plans beyond eMajor?
My goal is to become employed by the Federal Aviation Administration as a certified Air Traffic Controller. My degree from Valdosta State University via eMajor will make myself much more marketable inside and outside the aviation industry.

12. Is there anything interesting you would like to share about yourself?
I enjoy working out regularly, staying fit and healthy, riding my bicycle, enjoying the pool with friends, and listening to Frank Sinatra.

David - "Sliding into eMajor!"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Things to Consider Before Taking an Online Class While Overseas

Online Learning allows students the flexibility of continuing their educational journey from anywhere in the world. Online classes are an excellent option for students who are studying abroad for the semester, military members and families who are stationed overseas, or even those who want to take classes while traveling for pleasure. While online classes can usually be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, there are some things to consider before registering for class if you intend to complete the course while located outside of the U.S.  Availability of a Reliable Internet Connection To access most online classes, students must have a reliable internet connection. This may be a challenge in some areas of the world due to various issues such as local network instability, outages, firewalls, or restrictive local internet policies. Before registering for an online class, research the internet accessibility situation in the area in which you pl

Sitting in the Front Row of an Online Class

We all remember that first day of class and trying to decide where to sit. Even when we felt like hiding in the back row (and texting on our cell phones), we knew we were probably better off in the front. It seemed that the ones just a few feet from the lectern were almost part of the instructor’s secret club. And when we joined that club on the first row, it seemed as though our grades were higher, the teachers liked us more, and we were more confident. Being at the front of the class felt like being at the top of the class. In an online class, the front row has a lot more room than it does in a traditional classroom. There’s space for a lot more of us to be an active part of the learning experience. And finding that perfect spot is fairly simple - even in a virtual space. Provide a memorable introduction. Most courses provide for an opportunity to introduce yourself during the first days of class. Make a positive impression by not only telling about your academic goals but revealing

March Freebie: No Application Fee for Most USG Colleges and Universities

Free applications are back at more than 20 institutions in the University System of Georgia. During the month of March, potential students can apply for admissions to most USG institutions at no charge. By waiving fees, institutions are able to increase applicant pools and remove a financial barrier for those who might otherwise be reluctant to apply. Rates vary across institutions but savings can be significant. For a student applying at 10 USG institutions with average fees of $40, the savings would be $400.   Students may apply for as many schools as they wish. Most institutions will automatically waive the fee during the application process. A few require specific steps during the application process. Below is a listing of all participating USG institutions and additional instructions where needed. USG Institutions Requiring No Code for Free Applications in March 2024 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College ( application ) Atlanta Metropolitan State College ( application ) Clayton Sta